Friday, February 20, 2009

Imp


“There was an Incident at daycare today.” These words are inclined to strike terror into the heart of even the most sanguine or phlegmatic of parents.

Rob had picked up Sydney that day, so he was the bearer of bad news to me. My heart sank- now what? Sydney is rambunctious, spirited, emotional, dramatic. The daycare is cheerful, but I worry a little about the caregivers' devotion to Sydney. It would be fantastic if there was at least one teacher at daycare who felt that Sydney was one of her favourite children. I don’t think that this is the case.

How much difference does it make? In practical terms, perhaps not much, but in my head and my heart, I am always aware that she may need a titch more understanding, nurturing, loving, and guidance than is given reflexively. Overall, this is a good experience for her, and for me, and I hope for the daycare, but I do look forward to getting her into school. One of the problems at daycare is that the kids with the more challenging behaviours get more focus, however inadvertently; the other kids, if they do not stand out in any particular way, are likely to get overlooked more easily.

I think she is more likely to stand out in a school environment. She is smart; she will be one of the eldest in the class; the expectation for behaviour will be more orderly, which will not be problematic for her; she is cute- I think she will fit in, and learn well, and will not stand out in negative ways, and may stand out in positive ways.

The incident? Minor, really. It involved a pair of scissors. (oh no) Someone cut someone else’s hair. (oh dear) “Whose hair did she cut?” (no question in my mind about who did the cutting; the consequences for our family would vary depending on the answer to this question, though) "Sarah’s". Sarah’s mother is an earth-mother type, they are also a blended family and we had just had Sarah over for 2 playdates. Sarah has very short hair already. If impishness was going to burst out of my girl, this was the best case scenario for it.

I am, however, looking forward to her having other venues for exploring and experimenting with the world. Hello kindergarten!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie took the scissors to her own hair last year. We found chunks of it for days.

~TigereyeSal~ said...

Yep, she's done that, too. Girls!

Alicia said...

Boys do it, too!

Both of mine have done it to themselves; neither was very subtle about it, and both tried to hide the evidence.

~TigereyeSal~ said...

I had wondered about boys- Sam didn't, to my knowledge. Come to think of it, though, my youngest brother shaved off half an eyebrow once when he was quite young.

Stella said...

After three kids I can state positively that the hair cutting ritual is a right of passage for both boys and girls. So, at least you have that one out of the way! :)