Monday, August 27, 2007

Remembrance


Our remembrance gathering was good. Really good, in fact. The peace I feel now is quite profound. I made it through my first year, with flying colours, even. I made it through my sadiversary with grace and gratitude, and only a few tears. There were neighbours present and a couple of Willis’s co-workers also came by. It was so good to reconnect with them. They have been missing us and wondered where we got too- we disappeared into the fog of widowhood disorganization. They plan on inviting us to a BBQ at their place, and as long as they give us a specific time and date, we'll go. The plaques are in place and look great; some ashes are interred. There is a sense of completion.


Sam was proud to participate in digging the hole.









Sydney is intent on spooning some ashes into a bag to be buried. My neighbour Jackie, who adored Willis, was thrilled to be in charge of that precious box and bag.





There were solemn and joyful moments. A friend read a letter to Willis, which recalled him as he was in life, as well as the sorrow left in the wake of his death. Women who have been known to butt heads were getting along famously at the remembrance. This is quite a legacy, Willis!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like it was a lovely memorial. I never really had a memorial for my Will. The visitation ended up being for everyone else and what I wanted didn't really matter. On the first anniversary, I was too exhausted from the preceding weeks to do much of anything but have lunch with my best friend. I have been thinking that perhaps I will do something more substantial on my blog when his birthday rolls around or for the 2nd anniversary. Something with more meaning for me and my daughter.

You should be proud of yourself. You have done a wonderful job. Flying colours for sure.

Alicia said...

Hugs.

Just letting you know I've been here and will be back. We widows with Angst for August have to stick together.