Friday, September 7, 2007

It wasn't me- I swear I didn't do it!

Rob and I have a date night every Friday night. One of us picks up the babysitter, we leave her with my kids and we go out. We generally go out for supper, then since we still have 2 houses, we usually end up at Rob's house, enjoying adult time at home. It's pretty blissful.

But...

I live in a housing co-op. Our townhouses face inwards, providing (I thought), a safe place for the neighbourhood kids to play out in front of my house. Our community is fairly small, and we live very close together, and there are few secrets here. Although the sense of community has been very valuable to me, there are times when I feel cloistered. My neighbours, especially my next-door neighbour, loved Willis. They were shattered when he died, and they were somehow disappointed when I began loving Rob. My plans to move from the co-op and purchase a house with Rob have been met with dismay: “Why on earth would you ever want to leave here?” (This said in front of Rob).

I haven’t felt much like hanging out with the gang of “harpies” in the front of my house these last few months. My life is my life, and I am choosing to live it, rather than curl up and die myself. I have found a new love, and look forward to owning a home with him. Disapproval of these choices is not something I choose to revel in, so I have been hanging out inside, with the door open, listening while the children play and cavort in the front. Apparently, this has been causing me to be in disfavour with the “harpies”…

On a recent Friday, when I went to pick up the sitter, she wasn’t there. We were a little early, so I took the kids home and started making supper for them. The sitter soon called, wanting a ride. The kids were pretty involved in playing, and the sitter lives not far away, so I checked with a neighbour, who said she was okay with overseeing my children while I went out for the 10 minute round trip.

While I was gone, another neighbour came upon my children, apparently alone and unsupervised, and freaked out. When I got back, she stormed into my house and proceeded to lambast me. It was an impressive tirade- according to her, she has been covering for me with child protection, the police, other neighbours; I never supervise my children outside, so someone else always has to. She was very angry, and threatened to call child protection services. After about 10 minutes of ranting, she left.

I disappeared from the co-op most of the next day- it really didn’t feel like a safe place to be. When I got back, there stuck in my door was a card from the social worker. The phone calls and visits have proceeded without further incident, and I suspect the file is just about ready to be closed.

I’ve been pretty stressed, but I’ve refrained from unleashing my own vitriol. At least on the outside…..

A day or two after “the incident”, the abusive neighbour ended up in the hospital, with an undetermined abdominal disorder- appendicitis and polycystic ovaries were both possibilities. I swear, I didn’t make a voodoo doll….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((Sally))),

Sorry that you have to put up with that crap from your "neighbours". Especially being reported to social services. What nerve!

Really, you don't owe anyone an explanation about anything, whether it's your new love or your intent to move away. Some people will never understand - until they come face to face with a similar situation.

Anyways, just wanted to acknowledge your post and say hello.

Take care.
Rob (in FSAB)

Michelle said...

You know, animals in pain can be wickedly mean; maybe that was her excuse!

I've been reading from the beginning of your blog to "catch up;" slowly, some of the pieces are falling together. It has been a pretty intense journey for an "outsider;" I can only imagine what it has been for you. When my dog had to be put down in October I thought I'd never recover from the emotional pain, which made me wonder if I'd keep my sanity if I experienced a greater loss. My husband's sister and her family are our son's designated guardians should something to both of us; the thought has occurred that I might need to ship my son off to them if Rick died, for his and my own good....