- they are not necessary
- there are dozens of games in the house already
- there is too much time spent in front of a screen by each family member as it is
- the mature rating means that the material is inappropriate under the age of eighteen
- if there are small children in the house, they may be exposed to extreme violence and language
- if they are excluded from the activities, that may hurt their feelings
- is there any research to suggest that violent video games enhance development?
- is there any research to suggest they can be detrimental to development?
- there are many more appropriate activities in which to partake- activities which might promote better physical, mental, emotional health
- mature-rated games are not necessary to a person’s continued well-being or health
- what is the trade-off?
We're having issues at home- can you tell?

8 comments:
I probably shouldn't speak, because I've never had kids, but I agree with you. Let them have mature rated games when they live in their own place. Your roof, your rules. That's what my mother always told me. I wouldn't want any kids I had under 21 playing games like Grand Theft Auto. (Saying that, I've only read about the game.) What's wrong with Scrabble? They might learn something?
My kids are younger than yours, so this hasn't become an issue in my household yet. However, I agree 100%.
The reasons you listed are actually why there is no Nintendo, XBOX, PS2, or whathaveyou in this house. I know that if we did, we WOULD have those issues. We have computer games that already take up far too much of their time -- I really don't need to provide the boys with another reason to sit in front of a screen.
Fortunately, few of the "M" games are available for PC, and I'm the only one with admin privileges to install programs on their computer. I know that my 10YO plays some of those M-games at friends' houses (esp if his buddy has an older brother); I won't try to stop that, but I don't have to allow it in my house.
That's easy for me to say now; it will get harder as the kids get older.
I'm sorry you're having issues (and I'm guessing the issues are not with your kids!); that would be a tough one for sure! Fortunately, my husband isn't into them and supports me on the position that kids should be busy playing, not staring at a screen, so we have NO video games here. We are also very choosy about who Brian associates with (living in the country makes that much easier), so he hasn't been exposed to any at another home, either. (I know that will become more of a challenge as he grows older.)
At least once a year I have to battle with my son because he wants to buy Grand Theft Auto, and I always win the battle.
I just think of it as a normal developmental stage! :) This, too, shall pass...!
My son (15) has some MA rated games, but he knows to play them at night, when the other kids are in bed.
We tend to laugh off stuff like animated violence and the occasional swear word, so as not to make a big issue out of it all, but I too wonder how much of that stuff will stick.
Hope you find a workable solution . . .
Thank you, all. I appreciate your support.
P.S. Certainly, having the games at the other home, or at a friend’s house is okay. They are not okay here.
Some things are acceptable when there are small children around, but generally, these games cannot be good for anyone in the long term. They promote negative ideas and emotions that children and teens cannot adequately deal with given their limited knowledge base.
Issues happen.
Post a Comment